Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Invited into Jesus' life

I have been pondering the event of the Transfiguration.  I don't get very far into the Scripture passages because I find I'm drawn by the first lines: "he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray" (Luke 9:28 NIV) or "Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain where they were all alone." (Mark 9:2 NIV)   The Gospel writers tell us that Jesus would go to a mountain to pray, often spending the night alone and in prayer.  Was this event any different in it's intent?  Jesus was going to pray and invited his closest companions.  We know about the Transfiguration because this time it was witnessed - but was this common for Jesus to experience when he moved into union with his Father?  So, why do we have this account?  I can imagine Jesus asking these three men to come with him.  His words of invitation are familiar to his followers - "Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life.  I'll show you how to take a real rest.  Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it." (Matt. 11:28 The Message)  I love that Jesus invited these men even though in his enthusiasm and lack of understanding, Peter totally misses what is happening.  Jesus invites the same three to be with him in the Garden.  Only one of the three seems to stay connected - John is the only one to be found at the foot of the cross!  I have a sense that Jesus desired their presence, their company even and maybe in spite of their lack of awareness and their self-centered focus.  It was not a teaching time for later life application, it was a time of knowing him - in his glory, in his aloneness, in his need for companioning.  Jesus invited them into his life.  This has made me wonder what my faith journey would look like if I'd experienced my salvation commitment at age 8 as one of being invited into Jesus' life instead of inviting Jesus into mine.  A subtle difference to be sure, but perhaps profound - to be invited to Jesus' life in all of it's fullness of knowing oneness with the Father and Holy Spirit.  To know him in his Incarnation and his divinity.  To know him as the most intelligent, wise, creative, loving, good, merciful and beautiful human being.  To be with him so much that I begin to act, talk, think and live like him.  Yes, I want to be with him - to hear his invitation to come and live his life!

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment