Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thoughts for summer pondering

I sat with a group of very dear women this past week.  We were all tired by the year's work, family and ministry responsibilities.  There was a sense of a deep longing for developing a more present stance with God over the summer.  The summer is seen as a time of rest but also of getting projects done, of enjoying kids more, of being with family in more significant ways.  These are great intentions, but so very often when the summer ends, and the kids are back in school, the routines of life begin again with the same intensity, leaving us feeling guilty for letting another summer go by without a deeper connection to God. 


I think we learn to be present to God as we are present to our lives, to the world we find ourselves in.  For the past few weeks I have been intentionally noticing the sky.  It is incredibly beautiful in the early morning, at sunset, with all the big billowy clouds, at night or even during the rain.  When I stop to consider the sky, I see with wonder the vast expanse of God's creation and I find I am drawn to say a quick prayer of thank you to God.  So my prayer for you is that you would find something to savor, to take deeply inside yourself, enjoy something just because it is!  This daily practice of wonder and awe, of delight and rest will be a sweet prayer to our generous and loving God!

Carol

Follow my time in Kenya this summer at:
www.thresholdministries.org

No comments:

Post a Comment