Thursday, August 30, 2012

When I grow up and am 85.....

Three weeks before my mom died a friend called and asked her, "Lelda, how is your soul today?"  She paused and after a few moments my Mom said to her friend, "You know, I think my soul is flourishing!" As she shared this with me, I knew that she was telling me something very important. "Take care of your soul!"

I often wonder what my Mom would be doing if she were still living.  I got a glimpse on Sunday as I returned to my childhood home and encountered three of Mom's friends in the church parking lot.  I was taken back by the beauty of these 85+ year old women, Frances, Shirley and Norma, with their  natural, silky, shiny silver grey hair, their  peaches and cream complexions and their sparkling, radiant eyes.  What a welcome they gave me.  I was profoundly aware that this exterior beauty was coming from deep within.  It didn't take long to make the connection.  These ladies know how to take care of their souls! 

I want to have that kind of beauty when I grow up and am 85!  May God give me the grace to embrace each day with this question, "Missy, how is your soul today?" and then to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment