Monday, September 3, 2012

Balloons!

There is nothing that teaches like grandkids! They invite me out of my quiet back room to embrace their world and in doing so I learn so much!

Aaron and Kim's four came to spend the weekend and Saturday morning Maddie, Abby, Sam and Isaac were up at 5:30 am and we were all in the car by 6:30 am to see the hot air ballons "Color the Skies" over Ripon.  I didn't realize that it would be a full blown craft faire, food fair and carnival and it wasn't long before the kids were distracted wanting all that and not to see the balloons.  As we made our way through the distractions to the balloon launching site we listened to "Can we buy this?  Can we ride that?  Why can't we go over there?" When did this outing get so complicated? It all started out so simple!  We just wanted to see the balloons!

Sunday morning, Chad, Josh and Cole arrive and the cousins are so excited to see each other!  Josh heads for the garage looking for the slip 'n' slide and finds an unopened package of water balloons, a package of 500!  I am not thinking this is a good idea, besides the balloons will only be frustrating for them.  They are small, thin and don't hold much water.  I give in to his persistence and before long 6 grand kids ages 2 to 11 are engaged with each other and having the time of their life.  Those little simple balloons entertained them all day long, inspired creativity, built memories, invited  laughter and  sceams of delight, refreshed from the heat and engaged all of us as some point during the day.

Two kinds of balloons and grandkids.  "God, help me not to be distracted by things that may complicate my life.  Thank you for  grandchildren who in their simple persitence teach me that I can choose to embrace simplicity and give You space to create something more!"

Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment