Monday, September 3, 2012

Home

During the time I was in Kenya this summer, I sat with John 12:1-8.  When I say 'sat' I mean the words from this passage bathed everything I did and thought over the summer - Mary's love for Jesus, and his unconditional and vulnerable response to her became the container for my time with God in Kenya.  The transition to being home was fairly easy - other than getting the sleeping thing right(!).  In some ways Kenya felt like a dream - where had the time gone?  I slipped right back into my life.  Slipping back also meant slipping back into some old ways of being - distracted, judgmental, resentful and inconsistent.  I shared these feelings with my dear Spiritual Director.  I explained the beauty of living with Mary at the feet of Jesus in Kenya and yet now home, was feeling more like the elder brother in the Prodigal Son story.  She asked me a very poignent question - "Do you want the 'Who' or the 'what'?  When I act like the elder brother, I am holding on to my religious false self - demanding right belief and right action - the 'what'.  But when I stay at Jesus' feet, all of my life is in alignment with him and his love - the 'Who'.  This is truly where I want to be - this is HOME wherever I find myself!  It is good to be home!!

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment