Saturday, December 21, 2013

Thoughts as we wait and watch during Advent.....


***
O holy night!  The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of our dear Savior’s birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
‘Til He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

I love the middle phrase of this Christmas carol –
“Long lay the world in sin and error pining, til He appeared and the soul felt its worth.”  Pining is a word full of desire, longing and hope.  And when Jesus comes, in the past through his human birth, in the present through his life birthed in me, and in the future promise of life in him, my soul knows the love of the God who is love.  
I have been an obstetric nurse my entire professional career.  I have had the privilege of being in attendance and supporting birthing.  New life enters the world with passion and is welcomed with open arms. I can think of no better image than that of welcoming my own grandchildren into my life to reflect how I have experienced the love of God.  I love them with a love that knows no bounds.  I delight in everything they do; my eyes look on each one with wonder at who they are and who they are becoming.  I gaze at them in love…  and so I think it is with God.  He created me and gave me life.  He delights in me; he looks at me with love.  My love and interaction with these beautiful grandchildren have shown me the love of God through loving.
Advent is an amazing invitation to wait in anticipation for the coming of His love incarnate.  As I have seen many a baby welcomed and have embraced my grandchildren, I want to express my love to God and welcome his gift of new life, that when he appears, my soul feels it’s worth.

“The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.” John 1: 14


No comments:

Post a Comment